Section 504 Student and Parent Rights

The following is a description of student and parent rights granted by federal law. The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed concerning decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of these decisions.

You have the right to:

1. Have your child take part in, and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination based on a disability.

2. Have the school advise you as to your rights under federal law.

3. Receive written notice with respect to identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.

4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with other students without disabilities to the maximum extent appropriate within the least restrictive environment. It also includes the right to have the school make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.

5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided students without disabilities.

6. Have your child receive accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

7. Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by individuals who know your child, the evaluation data, and placement options.

8. Have transportation provided to a school placement setting at no greater cost to you than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the school.

9. Give your child an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the school.

10. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement.

11. Obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost if the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.

12. Receive a response from the school to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child’s records.

13. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school refuses this request, it shall notify you within a reasonable time and advise you of the right to a hearing.

14. Request mediation or an impartial due process hearing related to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program, or placement, in writing to your Section 504 Coordinator/Designee. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you.

15. File a local grievance or complaint to the Office for Civil Rights in Cleveland, Ohio. The office is part of the U.S. Department of Education. The regional office is located at the following address: US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, Bank One Center Suite 750, 600 Superior Ave. East, Cleveland, Ohio 44114- 2611. The phone number is (216) 522-4970 and the TTY number is (216) 522-4944